2.19.2013

sanssouci and potsdam



On a very gray Sunday a couple of weeks ago, we drove to Potsdam, a sort-of-suburb on the outskirts of Berlin. Potsdam is the capital of the German state of Brandenburg and is most famous (to Americans at least) for hosting the Potsdam Conference of 1945, where Harry Truman, Winston Churchill and Joseph Stalin met to put a plan in place to clean up the mess that WWII made.

Aaaaand that's all I've got on the history front.

We spent a couple of hours walking around Frederick the Great's summer home, Sanssouci, which is best described as the Versailles of Germany. While the palace is incredible - vast, gorgeous, centuries-old, well-kept - I can't wait to see it (like so many other things here) in summertime.





I don't think I'll ever get used to the way gold is used here. Every single time I see it used in architecture, without fail, I have to stop myself from asking a million questions about the logistics behind where it came from, why it's used and, most importantly, how it has stayed there all these years. Pretty sure that pushes me right over the obnoxious American line.


See? Unreal.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...